adplus-dvertising
News and Media

Small Scale miners to sue gov’t over burning of excavators

The Concerned Small Scale Miners Union of Ghana (CSSMUG) served notice to sue over the burning of excavators as part of the fight against illegal small scale mining (Galamsey).

The group said they express their disgust at the recent happenings in the small scale mining sector, particularly in the Ashanti region where government-deployed soldiers are embarking on what they call onslaught against regular and duly licensed operators.

It is recalled that President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo last year urged persons disgruntled by the renewed fight against illegal mining to go to court if they disagree.

“I know there are some who believe that the ongoing exercise of ridding our water bodies and forest zones of harmful equipment and machinery is unlawful and, in some cases, harsh,” he said.

“I strongly disagree, and I would advise those who take a contrary view to go to court to vindicate their position, if they so wish.”

President Akufo-Addo stated these on Wednesday, May 26 2021 when he cut sod for Phase One of the Law School Village for the Ghana School of Law.

The small scale miners in a statement issued on Wednesday February 9, 2022 said “”There appears to be a grand scheme to throw miners who are unwilling to part with huge sums of money to the soldiers in the Operation Halt out of business.

“Within the last two weeks, up to fifty (50) excavators belonging to small scale miners operating with all the requisite paperwork and within the confines of the rules of engagement have been set ablaze by Operation Halt within Obuasi, Manso and the Amansie mining areas.

“It is worth noting that, most of these excavators were either out of use at the times of the operations or torched away from any mining site; this suggests to us that there is a ploy to target and throw certain individuals out of business, where as heavy equipment ravaging the bellies of the forests and river bodies were ignored because, they belong to people in high places.

“In the mean time, we wish to also announce our plans to take government on to seek legal redress in the ongoing impasse of burning of excavators and the seizure of minerals belonging to small scale miners.”

Below is their full statement…

For Immediate release

9th February, 2022

Unlawful burning of excavators and extortion by government-deployed soldiers – CSSMUG to sue

The Concerned Small Scale Miners Union of Ghana (CSSMUG) wishes to express our disgust at the recent happenings in the small scale mining sector, particularly in the Ashanti region where government-deployed soldiers are embarking on an onslaught against regular and duly licensed operators.

There appears to be a grand scheme to throw miners who are unwilling to part with huge sums of money to the soldiers in the Operation Halt out of business.

Within the last two weeks, up to fifty (50) excavators belonging to small scale miners operating with all the requisite paperwork and within the confines of the rules of engagement have been set ablaze by Operation Halt within Obuasi, Manso and the Amansie mining areas.

It is worth noting that, most of these excavators were either out of use at the times of the operations or torched away from any mining site; this suggests to us that there is a ploy to target and throw certain individuals out of business, where as heavy equipment ravaging the bellies of the forests and river bodies were ignored because, they belong to people in high places.

The union has incontrovertible evidence to prove that the soldiers deployed by the government are only interested in cashing in on the operation, charging a minimum of GHC 45,000 if a miner wants to have the peace of mind to do their work.

The unjustifiable burning of excavators is only a face saving strategy to cover up the extortion that the soldiers are perpetrating in the Ashanti region.

We acknowledge and support any move by the government to stem the illegal mining menace bedevilling our dear country but roundly frown upon any move which threatens to undermine the gains so far made, following the moratorium of 2017.

We are by this press release calling the attention of the Ministers for Lands and Natural Resources and Defence to the atrocities being visited on small scale miners in legal employment and demand the immediate abortion of the operation or we would be forced to employ every means possible to safeguard our investments.

In the mean time, we wish to also announce our plans to take government on to seek legal redress in the ongoing impasse of burning of excavators and the seizure of minerals belonging to small scale miners.

No amount of intimation and targeting would suffice in this brazen attempt to send the small scale mining sector back to the doldrums; we hope that the outcome of the 2020 general elections still serves a great lesson to the powers that be.

Long live small scale mining

Love live Ghana

Signed.

Kwasi Appiah Kubi
Secretary
0244167611

Stephen Arhin
PRO
0208708181

Michael Kwadwo Peprah
0248775556
President

Felicia Addo

Young Ghanaian kid who loves to write about trending news and stories in the world. A level 300 student of UPSA studying business administration. Kindly enjoy my contents and feel free to comment under them please. You can reach and advertise with us and advertise with us on email: mktrends.net@gmail.com. Thank You

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
 Adsterra   How You Can Make Money (for Teens)   00:00:10